Welcome to our adventure !

Having just learned about this blogging stuff, I decided to put up a sort of "journal" of our great adventure. Most of the pictures included were taken with my droid phone and they're not too bad. As most of you know, we are in Branson, Missouri until....ummmm.....Spring. Yeah, that's it.....Spring !

Monday, November 22, 2010

Owen Homestead Phase II

This past Saturday, I worked with the scouts again on the Owen Homestead.
I installed the trellis' that I built for it, then pulled the gutters and hardware off of
the barn.  I used these to replace the trashed one's on the house.  Interesting brackets/
hardware for the gutters.  Designed to be used with no soffit/facia, the brackes mount
right onto the side of each roof rafter.
Then I did an evaluation on the roof damage that is the next big concern.  There is a busted
chimney going thru the roof, and next to it an area about 10'x15' that is sunk in about 12".
Someone had nailed several misc. pieces of plywood right over the shingles to stop the leak....
they only made it worse.

At day's end, the Scout's project was pretty much done.  4 Scouts and volunteers had
logged 360 manhours on this project in two saturdays.  I'd estimate over 5 acres was cleared of
overgrown brush/trees, stone walls mended and the work I did on the house.
These Scouts should be very,very proud of their work here !

I will meet with the city this week to discuss if anything further needs to be taken care of.
My conservative estimate is $55,000 to $75,000 is needed just to basically secure the home
against further rot, bugs, animals, etc.

Here's the end of the house.
Same end, close up.  Please notice that some of the rocks
stick out much farther than the others.  Dr. Owen had
an office in that little upstairs room.  He built those protruding
rocks as steps...for a fire escape !
Replacement trellis' installed.  They are exact replicas, except
I made them out of pressure-treated wood.
Foggy morning view from the porch of the home.
Picture of whole house.  It is about 1100 s.f.

No comments:

Post a Comment